Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Reflections on Mentors

How many of you out there have the good fortune of being conscious of the role mentors play in our everyday lives?

I ask because today I was musing on the importance of mentorship and the impact it can have.  The latest Wikipedia states, "Mentorship refers to a personal developmental relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps a less experienced or less knowledgeable person."  I am not particularly enamored with this definition, as it implies a very structured relationship, but if you read further there are hints of the informal channels that I have personally experienced as sources of my mentors becomes evident.

Mentors arise from absolute strangers, casual aquaintances, formally trained and paid subject matter experts, dearest friends and family, to even you  - as you sit there and read through these words.  We all experience the opportunity to give and receive mentorship.  All too often, sadly, these opportunities are lost amid the background noise of our lives.  Take a moment to reflect upon your day and ask "Who are the mentors in your life?" and "Who did I mentor today?"


My mentors inspired me to be better today than I was yesterday...
By being a mentor today I created a similar inspiration in someone else...

It was a good day.


Be Bold, Be Brave, Be Uniquely You...and Elevate Lives with Effortless Style





No comments: